The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Home opener leaves softball fans on edge of seats

Varsity Softball Wins 5-2 with Grand Slam
Junior+Sophia+Burmeister+hits+a+grand+slam+leading+their+team+to+victor.+Burmeister+ran+the+bases+and+made+it+home.+Her+grand+slam+sealed+their+game+against+Eastlake+%285-2%29.+
Andrew Hansuvadha
Junior Sophia Burmeister hits a grand slam leading their team to victor. Burmeister ran the bases and made it home. Her grand slam sealed their game against Eastlake (5-2).

The crowd was on their feet peering through the fences as Varsity Softball was down 0 to 2 on March 8th in their game against Eastlake High School. Junior Sophia Burmeister stepped up to the plate with the outcome on her shoulders, knowing she must get at least a base hit and one runner in to win the game. The ball came flying and crack! Burmeister hit a grand slam, winning the game for Poway 5 to 2. 

“I was in awe of how far she hit that ball. I was happy for her, but nothing she does ever surprises me,” Varsity Head Coach Jim Bennet said.

Varsity Softball is currently ranked first in the Palomar North County League and 6th in San Diego. As of  March 22, they held a  5- 1-1, with a tie against Torrey Pines.  

This season’s start puts Varsity on track to go to state. Similarly their big win against Valhalla High School on Feb. 28  11 to 3.

They showed their perseverance against Torrey Pines High School on March 14, where they were tied 2 to 2 at the end of the 9th inning, running into overtime of a total of thirteen innings, and a final score of 2 to 2. 

Teamwork is a virtue for the team’s success after the departure of four seniors last season. “I think teamwork and our team chemistry is a big reason why we are so successful. We all support each other on and off the field and just take it one game at a time,” senior Mckenna Hunting said. 

“My favorite moment of the season so far is hitting my walk-off grand slam and celebrating with my teammates,” Burmeister said. This energy will hopefully carry them to a win against Bonita Vista High School on Wednesday, March 20.