The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Williams resigns from Football

Kyle+Williams
Jasmine Rundle
Kyle Williams

After leading football through a challenging season in the Avocado League, Head Coach Kyle Williams has decided to resign from Varsity Football. Williams help lead the team to win their first CIF championship in 2007 as a defensive coordinator, Three Palomar League Championships, and a trip to the Open Division Semifinals in 2022.  “Ultimately, I’ve decided to step away from being a head coach to focus on myself, my health, and my family,” Williams said. 

Williams has coached At Westview High School and Fallbrook High School before coming back to Poway as a head coach in 2020. Williams started his coaching career at only 19 years old. He played two seasons as a wide receiver for San Diego Mesa College. Williams joined the Poway Football coaching staff as a Defensive Coordinator. 

Reflecting on this past season, Williams takes pride in the fight the players put forth, and highlighted his pride with their huge victories against Rancho Bernardo 14 to 6, and Ramona High School 35 to 34. Thinking about next season Athletic Director Damian Gonzalez comments, “The future is promising for Poway football, we have a great group of athletes coming back.” Gonzalez says that he is collecting resumes and will hopefully have someone hired by early January.

“Right now, the plan is to be an assistant coach for my son’s 8th grade team next year. I’ve always wanted to coach him and his team, so this will be fun,” Williams said. He hopes to return to coach the TItans again someday when the timing is right as an assistant coach. Williams has much love and passion for PHS, and he will continue to teach English. 

“I will always be a Titan,” Williams said.