Welcome to Michigan

Anjolie Norton makes her verbal commitment to the University of Michigan
Isabelle Hoerr

Anjolie Norton rushed past her Mission Vista opponents and scored the final goal of the game, pushing past the Poway High School record of most goals in a season, and breaking it, with 35 goals. On that senior night, Oct. 27 PHS won 6-1. 

The Titans went on to win their CIF Quarter Final game against La Jolla with a score of 5-4 on Nov. 7, and then Norton finished her final high school season with a loss to La Costa Canyon on Nov. 9. 

Norton announced early into her junior year her verbal commitment to the University of Michigan (UMich) to continue her academic journey as well as her passion for playing field hockey. Norton has pushed past her limits in her high school career while playing for the RUSH field hockey club. 

Norton says her desire for the game began between fifth and sixth grade. She had been playing soccer years before, and her passion developed at a Field Hockey camp. Since then, Norton has been playing in both club and varsity teams, becoming a captain and record breaker her senior year.

The coaches and team all appreciate Norton’s effort and energy she puts into the game. 

“She has a deep knowledge of the game that she shares with her teammates consistently,” Varsity Field Hockey coach Ariana Hooper said. 

Norton says her favorite memory of playing was in her sophomore year during the Open CIF Quarterfinals against Canyon Hills, one of the top schools for field hockey in San Diego, when she scored both goals to make the Titans win 2-1. It was Poway’s first-ever win against Canyon Hills.

Norton is eager to continue playing at the University of Michigan. She chose UMich over other colleges partly because of the team’s personality and the family-like atmosphere. 

“Even though I will be going far from my family, I already feel like I will have a family going into college,” Norton said. 

Norton has her team and many people supporting her commitment, including sophomore Carla Floriach, a JV player who occasionally joined varsity, and Norton’s foreign exchange sister.

“I really look up to Anjolie as a player and academic model, and I’m very excited for Anjolie and the community she will be joining,” Floriach said.