The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Boys Soccer Varsity Coach Returns

Gene+Morris
Amelia Myers
Gene Morris

Varsity boys’ soccer coach Gene Morris will return to coaching this season after a rather short retirement.Morris announced his retirement at the end of last season because he felt it was his time to pass down coaching and let another alumni take over.
When administration was unable to find anyone suitable for the job, principal Richard Nash asked Morris if he would return, and he said yes.
“I came back because I’m a true Titan. Once you bleed green, you always bleed green,” Morris said.
Morris is excited for the upcoming season. Even after losing 17 varsity seniors, he is ready for a good season.
“At Poway, we don’t rebuild, we reload,” Morris said.
Morris has been in the soccer program for over 25 years and head coach for 19 years. Under Morris, varsity boys’ soccer has a record of 282 wins, 90 draws, and 103 losses.
His teams have won 11 Palomar League Championships and one CIF championship. He was named CIF
Coach of the Year in 2008 and North County Times Coach of the Year in 2008 and 2011.
Morris not only coaches at PHS, but he also coached at Poway Vaqueros and San Diego Soccer Club (SDSC)for 27 years. Recently he has served as an indoor soccer referee.
Morris’s passion for the school and the sport has led the boys through every season, as he always says “Once a Titan, always a Titan!”
Morris has inspired many of his players.
“Playing for Gene is a great experience, I’m glad I get to be a part of his team. From the games to the practice to the pasta parties, there’s never a dull moment with Gene,” junior Sean Jestand said. Morris has taught his players to love the game and how to play as a team.
“Because of him, I got better and love the game even more. He always believed in me, which made me believe in myself and push myself to become better,” sophomore Jacob Jestand said.
Morris says his favorite part of coaching is “beating a rival team, seeing the kids and their passion. Seeing the kids being happy and succeeding – it’s more important to me than winning championships,” Morris said.