The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Girls Varsity volleyball is dominating the game

Senior+Courtney+Carpenter+prepares+to+serve+the+ball+on+senior+night.+++++++++
Colin Fitzpatrick
Senior Courtney Carpenter prepares to serve the ball on senior night.

The girls’ varsity volleyball team looked around as they heard the chanting of fellow students, staff and families as they victoriously won against La Costa Canyon on Sept. 27, with a final score of 3-0.
During the game, a main highlight was sophomore Tori Barker diving for the ball and getting a tip up as well as senior Kiki Remensperger diving again and hitting the ball over the net, scoring a point.
They traveled to Arizona to compete in a three day tournament on Sept. 29 and took home a win against Desert Mountain High School, with a final score of 2-1.
“It was refreshing to play different types of teams from all over the country. It pushed us to improve a lot and bonded more as a team,” senior Mackenzie Parsons said. They ended up placing second in the Gold division.
The team is having an amazing season with 13 victories in the 20 games they have played. They have gone up against some vastly competitive schools and came out on top, including wins against Mt. Carmel (2-0), Rancho Bernardo (3-0) and Ramona (3-0).
While it is true that this year the players have been put in a more challenging league due to their high performance last year, they continue to dominate the game.
“One thing that helped me was figuring out how to play for your team, not yourself. Momentum is how you win games, and if you aren’t cheering on your team, you will not get that momentum,” Remensperger said.
The communal bond between the players is one of the factors they love. “My favorite part of being on varsity volleyball is the community and unconditional love we spread between each other,” sophomore Havani Embrysaid. “I made friends because of the program, and I’m thankful for that.”
Players feel like it is a very competitive, challenging sport that is underrated and would love for more students to support the game.