The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Clifford claims commitment

Offensive tackle David Clifford commits to BYU
Isabelle Hoerr
David Clifford Offensive tackle commits to BYU

Receiving 14 offers from top colleges, including SDSU, Columbia, and Arizona, senior David Clifford let the adrenaline wash past him and settle as he anticipated the offer from his dream school. On the field, Clifford has continued to work and train his best in his high school career and this led to his verbal commitment as a offensive tackle at Brigham Young University (BYU). 

Clifford says his passion for football came from his dad who played in high school and throughout college. He started playing the game in 8th grade with Poway Pop Warner and has played at PHS all four years, with three on varsity. 

“I love my teammates and coaches. We are all extremely close,” Clifford said. He describes his senior year as “super fun, but not as much pressure compared to junior year,”. 

Clifford says his favorite offer was from Arizona, due to it being the first Power Five school that reached out. But while it was a tough decision, Clifford committed to BYU, Clifford was not offered a scholarship by BYU, but this did not change his decision.  Due to BYU’s coach’s impressive work with their athletes; and his sister’s attendance, it did not alter his decision at all. 

“BYU has been my dream school to play at and is a very competitive team,” Clifford said. 

Varsity coach Kyle Williams describes Clifford as smart, physical, and quick, which makes him a good recruit. “BYU has a tremendous history of success within its football program. In addition, David’s faith is very important to him and his family,” Williams said.