Love blooms in new beginnings

Inclusive sapphic romance hits the shelves
Courtesy of Suhail Rahimi

Late Bloomer by Mazey Eddings felt like I was reading a real-life fairytale. The romance, conflict, and resolution of the book made it tie into one big romance. This is the first book I’ve read by Eddings, and from the adorable cover of the book, I was drawn to know more.
After winning the lottery on her birthday, Opal is taken by surprise. She is ready to jumpstart and refresh her life. Out with the old in with the new… or so she thought. Her ex-boyfriend, Miles, heard she won the lottery and tries to wedge his way back into her life. Also, her self-centered “best friend,” thinks that Opal owes her something since she’s the one who bought her the lottery ticket, which amounted to $100,000.
While trying to navigate her new lifestyle, Opal has to figure out who in her life truly wants the best for her. During this journey, she finds Pepper, a neurodivergent flower expert who never lets anyone into her life – the complete opposite of herself. But you know what they say, opposites attract. Something I liked was the dynamic between Opal and Pepper which followed the grumpy and sunshine trope.
Opal is a bubbly people-pleaser who always puts everyone before herself, while Pepper is closed off, introverted and, has a chill type of attitude. This is what made them perfect for each other. Opal feels bad that she got stuck in the middle of the family drama and is trying to make everyone happy. When Opal agrees to let Pepper stay and helps her get the flower business up and running again, they both bloom in a way neither of them expected.
Opal is questioning her sexuality and she uses their arrangement as an opportunity to confirm her speculation. They each start catching themselves wondering what it would be like to be together. They don’t act on their desires quite yet, but things begin progressing.
I enjoyed the dual point of view that would alternate every couple of chapters between Opal and Pepper. Getting to see what both of them were thinking and feeling in the moment helped me understand their characters better and who they were before and after they came into each other’s lives.
Within a couple weeks of being roommates they agree that they should be roommates with benefits. Pepper is worried that their relationship is going to interfere with the flower business but Opal promises it won’t. This book is perfectly-paced. The storyline moves smoothly and everything falls right into line without feeling forced. Many reviewers have enjoyed the neurodivergent and queer representation.
Something I really enjoyed was the subtle Taylor Swift references throughout the book. Pepper loves Swift’s music and gets Swift-themed presents on her birthday. Along with that, something that reminded me of Swift was when Opal says, “Death by a thousand gruesome cuts,” relating to Swift’s song “Death By A Thousand Cuts.”
Something I disliked was the millennial touch to the book. Older generations would like this book. There were some references I didn’t understand and jokes that went over my head. None-the-less I still thought it was a cute romance. The private romance, stolen glances, the quick brushing of hands. To me that is what makes a romance and this book was exactly that.