Varsity girls soccer plays a tough game

Rushing down the field, the Varsity girls’ Soccer team runs toward their goal, making it their priority not to let offensive Mission Hills score another point. 

The team is off to a great start, including wins against Rancho Bernardo (3-1) and San Pasqual(4-1), and a tough, close loss on Jan. 24, against Mission Hills. 

The team is also working hard to keep their stats up with an overall record of 5-4-4 and 1-2-3 in the league as of Jan 31.   

The Titans fought hard against the Grizzlies to keep the points close and their opponents sweating with a final score of 0-1. 

Sophomore Mackenzie Stearns thinks they put up a good fight considering Mission Hills is ranked 5th in the San Diego Section while Poway is only 16th.

“I think we worked really hard especially against a good team like Mission Hills,” Stearns said.

That game was a challenge, as Mission Hills had an 11-0-3 record. The two high schools had many games against the same high schools, often winning against common opponents such as El Camino, San Pasqual, and Rancho Bernardo. The game was anticipated to be close.. 

In their first game, the Titans were already proving how much effort they were putting in, with a final score of 4-0 on Dec. 5 against La Costa Canyon. 

Sophomore Peyton Rarity was pleased with how they played in the game and eager for the team to get better. 

“So far as a team we have done well this season. I am excited to continue to grow as a team on and off of the field,” Rarity said.

According to Coach Brian Mark, they have grit and determination to improve throughout the season. He thinks the team has a lot of potential as long as they work together with a similar goal to increase their skill level. The Titans will have another shot at the Grizzlies on Feb. 9.

“The good thing is we will play them again, and overall the season is going very well. We have only lost three games; we’ve had quite a few ties that should’ve been wins; and we get to play all those teams again, so we are hoping on this next leg we’ll get some wins,” Mark said.