The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Teamwork is the dream work

Girls varsity water polo making a comeback

Amidst the sound of splashing water and a smack, Girls’Varsity Water Polo hit the ball into the net, winning their senior night and ending their losing streak with a nail-biting game against Valley Center High School on Jan. 16. “My favorite game is winning against Valley Center on senior night after a losing streak,” sophomore Katelyn Ruiz said. Ruiz’s Favorite moment being every Senior scoring at least one point, the final score 24-1.

Fast forward to they played Del Norte High School in a very challenging and close game coming home with a Win 10-9 on Jan. 20. Seems that teamwork helps this team through tough games.“Our team is all really close. We have a lot of difficult practices, and our perseverance brings us together. We are all super supportive of each other, and genuinely like building each other up and watching each other grow.” junior Annalise Adam-Zikeli said.

They are currently 3-11 and fifth in the Palomar League, and ninth in San Diego Section Division 2. Adam-Zikeli says This season has been described as tough but a learning experience with the team facing some difficult opponents. After a rough start to the season, this team has finally found it’s rhythm.“This season has been so fun! I am excited to end the year on a high note with our last league game against RB”. Sophomore Kiera Walters said.They will face the Broncos on Jan. 30.They are hopeful for upcoming games and to keep their winning streak alive.