Spectacular season

Girls’ basketball dominates with 19-8 record
Spectacular+season

Charging down the court, ahead by 9 at the beginning of the 4th quarter, this is a typical sight at a Varsity Girls’ Basketball game. All season they have outplayed their opponents and it shows in the calm and concentrated way they maneuver the ball to the net. 

Notable wins thus far into the season include: Jan. 12 against Westview, 54-31, Jan. 19 against Rancho Bernardo, 44-38, and Jan. 26 against Del Norte, 42-40. The team’s record currently stands at 19-8 after their most recent home game against rivals Rancho Bernardo on Feb. 9, where they beat the Broncos yet again, this time 40-25. 

A dominant force in the Palomar league, where they are ranked second, now the team’s focus is set on the Open Division Playoffs for CIF, which are set to begin on Feb. 16. 

“We have a really fun and competitive group of girls who are dedicated, which makes this season really fun,” sophomore Center Emily Farr said. 

Their success in the Palomar League is especially impressive considering that some of the best teams in the county have been their opponents. The key to the team’s winning streak in the face of tough competition has been their chemistry. In each game, players ensure they have each other’s back and convert teamwork into the creation of scoring opportunities. 

“I think our team has been really effective because of how well we work together,” Power Forward junior Katelyn Johnson said. 

Johnson has been a top scorer for the Titans this season, averaging 15.9 points per game which places her just outside of the top 30 players in the San Diego Section with a ranking of #31.

The team is moving forward to the playoff round with confidence, something their Coach Clarissa Jones Fletcher credits to the intense nature of their schedule. 

“I set up a tough schedule going into winter break, so I knew going into the league we had the experience,” Jones Fletcher said. 

The first playoff game will be held on Feb 16 at 7 against Del Norte. In their two previous matchups against the Nighthawks, the Titans are 1-1, so this next game will be a competitive toss-up. Basketball enthusiasts and casual sports enjoyers alike should not miss this exciting match-up, as the Titans aim to continue their winning streak.