Freshmen close out the season at home

Poway frosh football ends the season with a loss
Logan+Archuleta+rushes+to+stop+the+Helix+ball+carrier.+Christopher+Haugk+barrels+through+a+Helix+lineman+to+try+to+tackle+the+ball.+
Anya Stewart
Logan Archuleta rushes to stop the Helix ball carrier. Christopher Haugk barrels through a Helix lineman to try to tackle the ball.

The Freshman Football team played a solid season, blowing out Ramona 42-6, on Sept. 7, and shutting out St. Augustine 21-0 on August 24. The team has played well against the tough Avocado League competition, going 0-5 in the league.

Their first win of the season came on Aug. 24 against St. Augustine 21-0. This was the kickoff of the season for some. “My highlight of the season was when me and my team beat St. Augustine,” freshman Andrew Georggin said.

The team’s strengths were playing as a team to score points and limit mistakes on defense. Defense was a priority to limit the number of points scored by strong teams they knew were dangerous with the ball. They struggled early in the game and started turning on the jets toward the end of the second half.

Carlsbad was their biggest competitor, with a record of 11-0, Carlsbad winning 35-0 on Oct. 5.  Poway was able to limit their offensive explosion as much as possible. 

Poway is very team-oriented and they used each other to get better, such as the constant battle to get  the Quarterback 1 slot between Rhys Sixt and Joe O’Connor.

“My biggest competition has been Joe because both of us were fighting for QB1,” Sixt said.  The team  pushes each other to be better and has to function as a single unit to be successful.

The team gets ready for games by watching film on the other team, and how they played. They then  worked on specific drills to help match up with the person they were up against to the best of their ability. Winning was made a priority alongside having fun and making memories. 

One of the team’s favorite memories was during the Ramona game. “My favorite moment of the season was when we played against Ramona and everyone on the team got to play in the game,”  freshman Shane Crawford said. 

Other players relished their first win against St. Augustine 21-0 on Aug. 24, and Torrey Pines where they scored the most points out of all the games they had in the Avocado League. They finished the season with a record of 3-7.