Spilling her guts

Olivia Rodrigo releases sophomore album
GUTS by Olivia Rodrigo
Courtesy of IMDb
GUTS by Olivia Rodrigo

A new album from one of your favorite artists is the perfect way to start any month. After a two-year wait, 20-year-old- Olivia Rodrigo dropped her sophomore album GUTS on Sept. 8. With high expectations, fans were going wild. Right after the release, everyone was begging Rodrigo to announce a GUTS world tour, so she gave the fans what they wanted and announced one on September 13.

GUTS is all about growing up and finding your place in the world. On June 30 Rodrigo first released the album’s lead single; “Vampire” (number 9th on the Billboard Hot 100 as of Sept. 14) and everyone was instantly obsessed.
Shortly after, she released “bad idea right?” the second single on Aug. 11. It has the same vibe as “Vampire” but they aren’t the same style. “bad idea right?” is more of a punk song about a significant moment in a young person’s life.

I was so excited to hear GUTS because I love Rodrigo’s album Sour so much. I waited all day and listened to the album as soon as it came out. I love how Rodrigo went in a different direction with her new album. Sour is all about breakups and having your heart broken, but, GUTS is about realizing; to quote one of her songs, “love is embarrassing”.

Listening to her new songs has become a part of my daily routine, from getting ready for school, singing in the shower, cooking dinner, etc. I’m constantly listening to GUTS. I love Rodrigo and her style of music and how she is switching it up in this album. She went from a pop album to an album with a grunge influence, and she did it flawlessly.

I quickly picked favorites when I first listened to the album. Personally, my favorites are “the grudge”, “logical”, “making the bed”, and “get him back”. The first three are so similar yet so different, and I find myself really relating to the lyrics. The song “get him back” is also one of my favorites because it is a song you can just get up and dance around in your room to. The beat is amazing, and I didn’t expect that kind of song from Rodrigo, but I’m so glad she decided to switch it up.