PDP JAZZES TO WIN IN FLORIDA

After soaring the skies to the East Coast, the Poway Dance Project (PDP) competed at the Universal Dance Association (UDA) Nationals in Florida from Jan. 30 to Feb. 4. 

They placed nationally for junior varsity and varsity. Junior varsity placed fourth for jazz and seventh for pom with varsity placing eleventh for jazz.

PDP competed in Florida with both their junior varsity and varsity teams having two routines of dances. Finalists performed at the ESPN center in Orlando. 

“Our varsity jazz made it all the way to finals in the ESPN center,” sophomore Natalie Lockwood said. 

PDP typically only competed against teams from the West Coast. “This competition was for all of the United States,” sophomore Alina Draa said. 

PDP put much effort into preparing for this national and they continue to as the competition season continues. 

“Walking into the competition was so exciting and scary at the same time. We were all so ready to give our all out on the floor. It was a really high pressure situation because the other teams there had been practicing much longer than we had, but we were confident. We put our all out on the floor and made finals,” sophomore Julia Wilson said. 

Dancers said that the support towards one another keeps them going strong. “The best part was being able to enjoy it with the love and support of my team. It inspired me to work even harder and see what new things I can accomplish in the future,” junior Aliza Workman said. 

After the wins at nationals, the dancers enjoyed the wonders of Disney. “The day we got to celebrate at Disney World we just had a day of just fun and team bonding. I can’t wait to go again!” sophomore Julia Wilson said.