EDMONSTON SHINES ON VARSITY FIELD HOCKEY

Swiftly running down the line at tryouts, freshman Elizabeth Edmonston tries to earn a spot on the field hockey team. Fast forward two months and here she is, Edmonston made the Varsity team as the left forward. 

“Elizabeth is so skilled for her age, has great stick skills, and can go are the defense really fast,” senior captain Izzy Agrusa said. 

Agrusa also says in the future that the freshman superstar with her tireless efforts and  great potential her leadership holds, she could be a future captain.

Edmonston fits in well with the team and does not feel judged by being a freshman. Her coach expects just as much out of her as all of the other girls.

“Field hockey is really fun, I feel really welcomed, and I feel grateful that they gave me this opportunity,” Edmonston said.                          

Getting on the team took hard work and determination Edmonston. When she does not have a stick in hand, Edmonston plays for San Diego Soccer Club on the “A” team and usually has eight practices per week between soccer and field hockey. Each of her field hockey practices are two hours long, and then she has to rush over to soccer practice for another hour and a half. 

Edmonston has been playing field hockey for three years, and outside of high school, she is on the Mystix field hockey team. 

“When I first saw Elizabeth I thought she had a lot of room to develop and was very coach-able with such a positive attitude,” coach Morgan Re said. 

Edmonston plans to play field hockey all four years of high school, working towards her goal of getting a scholarship for college. Varsity got first in their league and finished with a 6-1 record. Edmonston is very excited to get back on the field for the 2020 season along with her teammates.