Upcoming trade days in May

On April 24, Poway High hosted Denise McAndrews, a certified nursing assistant (CNA) instructor from Poway Adult School. At lunch, she informed students about the realities of being a nurse, the options for education, and the time and money it takes to be a CNA. 

This May, the campus is hosting presentations during lunch in the Titan Center for students eager to seek more knowledge about trade school opportunities. These presentations are aimed at helping students find alternatives to a four-year college , including programs forspecialized fields for their chosen career path.

McAndrews is the program manager at the Poway Adult School with state certification and many years of being a nursing assistant under her belt. She spoke about the pros and cons of the career and how to choose a school wisely for a career path.  What ares some of the pros and cons she talked about?

She suggests that a public school will provide more stability and is much more cost-efficient, while private schooling has more schedule flexibility, but is more expensive. 

“I was impressed with the active listening the attendees exhibited and believe those students who attended will make better education choices for their careers because of their participation in the event,” McAndrews said. 

According to McAndrews, the Poway Adult School is the only adult school running a nursing program in North County, and students must be out of high school to participate. 

Jamie Brown organizes the trade days program and supervising the meetings in the Titan Center. Brown also works to inform students about scholarships and gives advice about what to do once finishing high school. 

“I thought the presentation for the certified nursing assistant went very well and she provided a lot of valuable information that this program can either be a career in itself or could be a launching pad for becoming an LVN or RN (Licensed Vocational Nurse and Registered Nurse) and it’s definitely a great option for those that are considering wanting a career right away,” Brown said. 

Many interested students attended the presentation and were able to get the information they were looking for regarding becoming a certified nursing assistant after high school. 

Sophomore Chloe Cato attended the presentation.

“I liked how much information it gave, even if it’s not exactly what I want to do in the future,” Cato said. 

Trade Days are great for students who are trying to find alternatives to a four-year college or who have an open schedule after high school. Many students can benefit from these presentations and learn how to begin their future career.