Spring sports wrap up the school year

Anderson Bell
Sophomore Leanna Nusco throws her discuss hoping she makes it far enough.

With only a few weeks left of school, spring sports have finished their regular season and are moving on to CIF playoffs and state. 

Boys’ volleyball went  22-16, wrapping up the regular season with a 3-1 loss to Santa Fe Christian, without advancing into CIF play. “We had a lot of unlucky setbacks with injuries, but overall I believe we gave our best effort, and I’m grateful to be a part of this year’s team,” senior Caden Lieras said.

Baseball won their league with a 19-9 record on the season and a 12-3 record in the league. They advanced into the playoffs. “Winning league was a huge highlight of our season,” freshman Owen Digenan said. With 12 seniors, the baseball team is looking at a big roster change next year and a lot of potential for the playoffs. They played in CIF semi-finals Wednesday. Advancing to the championship game after a win against Del Norte 4-3, furthering them to state.

Softball has been running through playoffs undefeated, with wins against San Marcos and Cathedral Catholic High School. Poway ended the regular season with a big win against RB on senior night. They ended the season with a record of 22-6-1 and won the league with a record of 8-2. They play in CIF finals Saturday and have their sights set on a state title.

Boys’ Golf played against four of the best 10 teams in San Diego in Division 1. Six golfers were pulled up to CIF: senior Dylan Culleton, senior Kevin McConnin, senior Mattrew Dickey, junior Landon Chu, freshman Trevor Cox and freshman James Santos III. The team played at Steele Canyon Golf Club and also qualified as a team to play against Mission Vista High School and Francis Parker High School.

Girls’ Lacrosse finished their season with a record of 11-9 overall and advanced to CIF Division 1. The team won in round one against Francis Parker High School 13-9 but lost in the semi-finals against Del Norte with a final score of 12-4. 

Gymnastics went to individual CIF, where senior Elise Stiritz, junior Annalise Adam, and sophomore Keziah Thibodeau all PR’ed. Stiritz placed second on beam with a score of 9.675 points and placed fourth overall with a score of 38.075. Adam scored 9.45 points on the vault and 9.25 points on the floor. Thibodeau scored 9.45 points on the floor. 

Boys’ Lacrosse started their season pretty rough but ended the regular season strong. They made CIF Division 1 playoffs and won two games to be contenders in the semi-finals for the first time in six years. “I’m really proud of the progress we made as a team throughout the season. This is the most a team I’ve been on has improved through the course of a season,” senior Alex Goulet said.