Renovations establish a schoolwide change

The gym and U buildings were already in need of some updating, and with the new logo being added it was good timing. Gym renovations started early April and will include refurbished floors, a new logo, and a motto.

The gym has been a staple for Titan home games and pep rallies, and has had the same look for over 11 years. Titans can look forward to the new changes of color, as well as font and size to the court symbol on the gym floor. The gym is expected to be open for usage April 29.

Alongside the physical changes coming to the gym, there is a new motto to replace the Poway R.I.G.O.R. “As we went through the process with students, alumni, teachers, and administrators we discussed what it was like to be a Titan and we came up with the slogan, “United in Strength,” Assistant Principal Michael Gizzo said.

There are multiple reasons for the change in logo. “The logo is being modernized because of a couple of reasons, one being because it was time for modernization. Another reason that was brought to our attention is related to potential copyright infringement with a well known college. Those were the main reasons for creating something that looks and represents the current people at
Poway High,” Gizzo said.
ASB has started switching to the new logos and has funded a portion of the renovations.
“The logo was paid by ASB funds due to the copyright issue from Purdue University,” Assistant Principal Gannon Burks said.

An outside design company as well as a committee of parents, students, teachers and alumni all helped with deciding the new logo and motto.
“Redefining our logo helps us better place expectations on all of our Titans, and it brings about a better sense of community and how we represent our school. I think when we are united in what we have as strengths, together we can make an excellent program,” Principal Richard Nash said.