Mr. White wins Teacher of the Year

White receives recognition for his teaching

Bursting into N6-103, Principal Richard Nash asked the seniors to vacate the room; following procedure, economics teacher David White saw the familiar scene of another random drug dog search. But instead opened the door to a surprise congratulation party of staff and students celebrating his selection as Teacher of the Year.

White’s commitment to the campus sprouted in his youth as a PHS student. He returned later to start  his 30-year teaching career. Many students have the privilege to meet White teaching their US History or economics classes, or simply directing student traffic between passing periods.

“I enjoy what I do. It’s as simple as that, and of course I enjoy being with the youth of America,” White said.

Rather than staying tucked away behind the desk, White thrives on taking front and center to push some fun into the normally monotonous context of economics. An active classroom environment is essential for White, to engage students to connect with his lecture.

“Mr. White is a very engaging teacher… I loved how he included everyone in class discussions and made sure everyone’s voice was heard,” senior Grace Barrow said.

Outside of the classroom White has dedicated himself to the Poway community through running a flower store named the Four Seasons Flowers. Alongside his wife, Carma, White runs the family business that has been running since 1974.

To become Teacher of the Year, White was nominated by fellow staff as a candidate, then won the majority of the teacher ballots. As a representative of PHS, White will be interviewed to be one of the Poway Unified School District (PUSD) Teachers of the Year  and also considered for county recognition.

“He’s been nominated a few times… but he is very dedicated with also being a coach, and being very invested. He makes everybody feel welcome. Like every question is important, and like every student is important,” Principal Administrative Assistant Pam Goepfert said.

With a humble manner, White hopes to continue teaching at Poway into retirement and will have his name engraved into the plaque in the office alongside past winners to commemorate his outstanding dedication.