The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Gant gives back to the community

Meredith Gant
Cookies against cancer: Mt. Carmel junior Emily Kao and junior Ellie Gant hold a bake sale to raise money for the Lymphoma and Leukimia Society.

Junior Ellie Gant has proven time and time again that she is a natu-
ral-born leader. She was just crowned Peer Counseling “PoohBah” and is a part of Student Visionaries of the Year in San Diego for the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society (LLS). Starting her work with LLS in September, she has already made a lasting impact.

Gant wants to help others in their search for a cure. “Blood cancer touch-es us all, and LLS is an amazing organization that supports patients, their families, and advocacy and research for blood cancer cures,” Gant said.

Along with her inspiring work with LLS, she is the new leader of Peer Counseling. Gant has been a Peer Counselor since her freshman year and knew she wanted to be PoohBah after her first Titan-Tune-Up, one of the workshops that Peer Counseling runs. There Gant realized how much of an impact Peer Counseling has on students Gant wanted to be a part of something bigger, and now three years later she got the promotion and is running the show.

Her best friend, Mt. Carmel junior Emily Kao, enjoys working with Gant and loves her positive energy. “Ellie is a great leader in general. She’s able to command respect but also be a fun person to be around. You can’t help but push the best version of yourself around her,” Kao said.

Becoming PoohBah was a monumental moment for Grant. Out-going president senior Lydia Manly had the privi-
lege of crowning Gant as the new PoohBah. “I could not be happier passing the torch down to Ellie. I have known that she has been wanting this for a really long time, and it’s a dream come true for her,” Manly said.

As leader, Gant reaches out to members to let them, works with counselors to plan events, and runs meetings on the
first and last Tuesday of every month.

Gant says she could not imagine life without her Peer Counseling family and encourages others to join. She encourages others to join and to be confident and open during their inter-
views. For those looking to become the next PoohBah Gant recommends being as involved as possible and getting to know everything about Peer Counseling. Interviews for new Peer Counselors are in November and the first meeting for the new group is in January.

Gant is in the middle of the Student Visionaries of the Year campaign for LLS. She and her team have a bake sale fundraiser planned for Feb. 24 at Target from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

They also have another restaurant night fundraiser planned for March. 9 at Chipot-
le from 5 to 9 p.m. To participate or help give back, reach out to their Instagram @b.strong_lls or donate to their website (https//events.lls.org/sd/svoysd24/tbstrong).

Gant and her team are also looking to recruit other passionate people for their team.