A part of her world

Corinne Milling stars as Ariel in the upcoming musical

The spotlights click on and a girl is illuminated on the stage. It’s silent and adrenaline is high, as a crowd of people watch her, waiting for her next move. As soon as the lights click on and the music begins her character suddenly consumes her. Junior Corinne Milling, who has been acting for about seven years takes on the role of Ariel in the upcoming production of The Little Mermaid.

“I watched the movie every day when I was little, so much my mom would mute the TV,” Milling said. She looks forward to taking on such a large role, especially one that makes her feel like the princess she admired when she was little. 

Milling has been singing her whole life and looks forward to singing “Part of Your World” the most. 

However, the role presents challenges. Since Ariel loses her voice, this is Milling’s first time ‘miming’ and she will have to act with mere expressions and no dialogue for certain acts, but she is excited to try new things. 

The Little Mermaid’s opens Feb. 2 in Poway Performing Arts Center.

Landon Carter will play her co-star, Prince Eric. It will be their first time acting together. “I definitely look up to Corinne a lot,” Carter said. Recently, Milling has played Wednesday in the Poway production of  Addams Family and Hope in Anything Goes at the Christian Presbyterian Church in Rancho Bernardo. 

Although this is Carter’s first time acting, he’s looking forward to the songs he will sing. Milling advises Carter, “Don’t be too nervous or overthink. When you get on stage it’s better than it seems.”

Vocal Director Jessica Schemmel, who directs the musical cast Milling as Ariel. “She has a magnificent voice and it’s very powerful. In order to carry a big lead like Ariel, you have to have a voice that can fill the stage,” Schemmel said. She said she is looking forward to Milling playing Ariel because Milling knows intuitively the nuance to bring to the music and the emotional aspects as well. 

Milling hopes her acting will evolve into something more later in life.