The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Club draws readers

Olivia Dunnick
President of the book club, junior Regan Meyers and Vice President Erin Lucey
   Once a month in the library members join together to express their passions about reading and connect with people who share their interests while reviewing their current book.
   Junior Regan Meyers created the club when she was a freshman in 2021. Since then she has been president of the club and advertised it through booths at Club Rush. She has an Instagram account (@powayhighbookclub) dedicated to giving out updates about the club.
   Meyers was inspired to produce a space where students can share their opinions and interests in reading while enjoying the company of students with similar interests. Along with this, she thought it would be a great idea to meet new people at school.
   “I’ve always just been really into reading, and it’s my favorite pastime and talking about books with other people is just something I love doing,” Meyers said.
   At the meetings, they review the book they have been reading by talking about their favorite or least favorite parts of the book.
   Other members really appreciate having this club as a safe space to talk and share their thoughts as a collective unit.
   “I think it’s a really good way for people like me, who love to read, to find a community that they feel comfortable in, but also to find solid books that either you haven’t read or love and want to reread,” junior Ryan Johnson said.
   To decide what books they read, the members each suggest a book and then they all vote on which book sounds the most intriguing – unless there is a currently popular book that appeals to all the members, like their most recent book, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins, seeing as its film adaptation was recently released.
   Junior Erin Lucey, vice president of the book club, is an advocate for books in schools and for books being available to everyone. The book club hosts an annual book drive to make books more accessible.
   “The book club was founded not only to make new friends and talk about books, but to make sure everyone is able to read,” Lucey said.