Anyone but You revives rom-coms

Courtesy of IMDb

There has been a lackluster selection of romantic comedies in the past couple of years, especially in terms of what makes a rom-com unforgettable; Anyone but You reignites the spirit of the genre. 

Anyone but You has satisfied every rom-com lover’s expectations. It is a light-hearted film the world needs. There’s the meet-cute, where the protagonist and the love interest lock eyes for the first time; there is the moment when they start to despise each other; and finally, a force that brings them together. 

The film’s two stars, Sydney Sweeney (Beatrice) and Glen Powell (Ben), have on-screen and off-screen chemistry that leaves audiences wanting more. Both Sweeney and Powell had either split or were speculated to split with their partners around the time of the film’s release. The attraction caused audiences who strive away from rom-coms to tune into the drama surrounding the film.

The other part of why I liked the film so much was the December release on Christmas day, giving that cute cozy feel. 

The sole, biggest factor that won me over was not only the banter in the film, but the early 2000’s feel that the movie gave. “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield is the motif of the film, as it is played multiple times, and in the background of the end credits.

In my  favorite scene, Beatrice comforts Ben’s fear of heights by singing his “serenity song,” which is “Unwritten.” I was also a big fan of how they set up the story. Because they both were affiliated with the bridal party, it gave the perfect opportunity to set up the forced proximity trope that rom-com lovers melt at. 

Many reviewers call it “cheesy” or “predictable” but I feel like if cheesy and predictable is done right, it is what is essential to what makes a rom-com memorable. From the love confession to the back-and-forth banter, this refreshingly good film will encourage audiences to watch it a second time, I know I did.