What do you want from me?

College draws unclear expectations

As seniors focus on college applications, many are wondering what colleges are actually looking for. With so many schools having gone test-optional, it can be unclear what exactly admissions officers want to see in prospective students. Is it a thousand AP classes? Endless extracurriculars? Curing cancer?

Well, it depends on the school. Colleges or universities that are more focused on academics will likely care more about your classes than your activities. 

“We like to see students taking advantage of the most rigorous classes offered at their school, with an increase in rigor each year,” The College of William & Mary Admission Counselor Ericka Torres said. 

However, not all schools focus solely on your academic prowess. 

“There are many qualities that can lead to a stand-out student/applications, we do review holistically so I am unable to pinpoint just one. Sometimes it can be essays, extracurriculars, academics – really just depends,” Assistant Director at Boston University Admissions Araceli Guartazaca Vega said.

What about test scores? With so many places going test-optional, many students wonder whether choosing not to submit will increase or decrease their chances of acceptance. 

“My general recommendation in speaking with students and counselors has been to look at the middle 50% of admitted student scores over the past two years… if your score falls within that range or… above the listed range, you should feel comfortable submitting your test results,” Northeastern University’s Associate Director of Admissions Greg Dellorco said.

In the end, it all comes down to where you plan on applying. Each school will have different expectations, and college counselors advise that prospective students should email the admissions representatives with any questions they may have.