The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Junior State of America leads students into the future

Poway High holds the first voter registration drive
Seniors+Mickey+Pock+and+Avalon+Nash+greet+Milo+Adams+at+the+JSA+registration+drive+table+in+the+library.+
Lily Johnson
Seniors Mickey Pock and Avalon Nash greet Milo Adams at the JSA registration drive table in the library.

In the library on Nov. 29, senior Mickey Pock and the other members of Junior State of America (JSA) stood enthusiastically in front of their table with stickers, candy, and photo props hoping to meet their goal of registering 250 Titans to vote. By the end of the day, they managed to register over 85 students with 10 class presentations to go. 

Pock saw a need for political activism at PHS and decided to fill it. Starting this year, Poway High is home to its very own chapter of JSA, a national organization focused on getting students involved in activism, educating them on current political issues, and engaging them so they’re prepared to become the next leaders of the United States. 

“JSA helps younger people feel comfortable being more involved in the government, which is important because some of us are going to have to be in charge,” junior Max Halsey said.

Over the last few weeks, Pock has been hard at work sending emails and giving presentations to civics classes, and preparing for JSA’s first, and hopefully, annual voter registration drive. With registration drives and debates, Pock wants to help prepare students to be effective participants in American democracy. JSA meets every Wednesday in room D-9.

“As a club, we just started our voting registration drive around school. Students as young as 16 can pre-register to vote, so once they turn 18, they’ll be ready to vote,” Vice President Daniel Hulterstrom said.

The registration drive was an excellent way for JSA to introduce itself to the student body and get Titans excited to vote. The drive accomplished its goal of not only getting Titans registered but also letting them know their voice matters and deserves to be heard. High school students are the next generation of world leaders and JSA is here as a reminder. 

“You have the power to influence change in your community,” Pock said. Sometimes students feel powerless in an ever-changing world, but voting gives them a voice.