Iliad needs you!

Inside look into the student-run publication

The Iliad is looking for new staff members. The variety of options for what a student is able to accomplish would be being a writer, photographer, artist, and/or editor for the issue. 

The student publication of the Iliad is more than an eight-page spread. It is the collaboration of the staff that makes it all possible.  

PHS newspaper offers a collaborative and inclusive environment. Joining the class can lead to a beneficial result of teamwork and success. With that, comes the demand for willing staff writers, artists, photographers, and editors. 

The newspaper has been around for six decades.

The course consists of writing articles of your choosing to have published or uploaded online to powayiliad.com. 

There are benefits to being in a class like Journalism. 

Staff members can pick topics geared toward their interests. This can include writing articles about featured Titans, upcoming events, sports, or opinions that students can relate to. 

Students learn how to interview fellow students and administrators, build communication skills, and give students a voice to state their opinions. 

Some others are learning how to write articles and headlines, experimenting with photography and art, and collaborating on a collective goal— the newspaper.  

Editor-in-Chief Natasha Phanthavong ,with this year being her last, wants to hold on to the memories she has made.  

“I first joined Iliad when I was new to school…but I felt included and that I could express my interest in a new space. I kept going because I liked the format of the class,” Phanthavong said. The student-run basis of the class is what keeps students coming back for more. 

Senior Lily Johnson joined the class this year. She feels it is cool to not just be quoted but as an achievement. 

“I joined for Natasha, and I stayed because I really like writing, and it’s really cool to see your name in the paper,” Johnson said.  

Junior Suhail Rahimi takes the class, not for the writing but for the art. 

“I like the freedom of it, that we get our work done. . .I feel it lets me do what I do best, people can write, however, I thrive with my art,” Rahimi said.