The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

News in Brief

Disneyland tickets on sale now

Seniors, are you looking to pay a special visit to your favorite mouse? Ticket sales end on Nov. 17 for the senior Disneyland trip. The trip will take place on Jan. 27, and tickets will include one-day admission to Disneyland as well as bus transportation to and from the park.
To purchase your ticket, head to the finance office before Nov. 17. Tickets cost $200, and require a signed permission slip before purchase.

Canned food drive

Starting Oct. 30 to Nov. 6, ASB is holding a canned food drive. They are only accepting unexpired, non perishable foods, and no ramen. In contrast to other years, there will be consecutive classrooms competing for the most amount donated. Stay tuned to the PHS Instagram to find out what teachers are participating!

Senior portraits on campus

On Nov. 2, Keane Studios will be on campus in room K-1 to take senior portraits for the yearbook. Students will receive a pass for their time slot. Only portraits taken with Keane will be used in the yearbook. There is no charge for the sitting and students can purchase photos.

Drama classes showcase talent

Interested in watching a group of passionate Titans show off their talents? On Oct. 30, drama classes 2-8 are putting together their annual showcase, consisting of student-run renditions of their own plays. This night of acting will take place in the drama room, from 7-9 p.m.

Peer Counseling Applications due

Today is the last day for students to apply to be a Peer Counselor. Applications can be accessed on the PC Instagram  @powayhighpeercounseling.
Applicants should also sign up for interview slots from Oct. 30 to Nov. 3

Día de Los Muertos

As the air gets colder, that means it’s time for the holiday season. In celebration of Día De Los Muertos, Julianna Tovar’s AP Spanish and Heidi Hensey’s drawing and painting classes will be putting up classic Día De Los Muertos altars in the display cases under the N-Building. You can view their beautiful work anytime on Nov. 2.

In addition to these fun Día De Los Muertos celebrations, ASB and MECHA have teamed up to create a fun spirit week that combines both Halloween celebrations and Día De Los Muertos celebrations. On Monday, wear your comfiest pajamas and go to K1 during lunch to watch Coco. On Tuesday, come to school in your school appropriate Halloween costume! After taking Wednesday off, come back to school on Thursday in your most vibrant colors, and wear green on Friday to receive flower crowns and marigolds around campus.