The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Poway wins their hardest game of the season

Field Hockey is back at Poway
Isabelle Hoerr
Preparing to make a pass, senior Anjolie Norton carefully handles the ball. Norton is a co-captain and leads the team with 16 goals this season.

Varsity Field Hockey started league play with the hardest match-up they would face. In overtime senior Lydia Manly struck the ball into the back of the goal, securing the win 3-2 against Torrey Pines on Sept 27. 

After losing to Torrey Pines in three previous years, Poway was able to win with their consistent passing, building out the back, and moving the ball up the field as a team. The team demonstrated their defensive skills keeping most attacks away from the goal and offensive skills smashing three goals into the net.

Their strategy that helps them win the game is combining passes out the back and through the middle until they can take the ball up the side. The team is  very offensive, taking many shots throughout the game.

Varsity field hockey players are enthusiastic about the season and excited about their win against Torrey Pines. 

“I think the win against Torrey Pines was a great way to start the league and gives us good momentum going forward. I think there’s a lot of really good teams in our league, so it’ll be a tough season,” senior Isabella Cambou said.

With the new coach, Ari Hooper. Having more experience and finesse, Varsity Captains Anjolie Norton, Lydia Manly, and Isabella Cambou believe that she will help them make them better than they have ever been. “The new coach has more experience and expertise where she can help us improve,” Manly said.

The coach already has had an impact on the team. “Our coach has been great for our team. She always has a positive vibe and takes the time to listen to us when we have questions/ideas for the time,” Norton said.

They only have six returning varsity players on their team of 18, but they have already bonded. The team is all fun and light-hearted, Lydia Manly, Isabella Cambou, and Anjolie Norton agree. 

So far the team has 1 win, 0 losses, and 0 draws for league games. The Titans hope to be placed in the open division in the playoffs. They won 3-2 against Torrey Pines. The next upcoming home game will be today against Valley Center at 6:30 p.m.