The hidden gems of clubs

Braden Franklin
Junior Hannah Roby tries to inspire students to join Songwriting Club at Club Rush.

From the captivating Songwriting Club to the vibrant Gender-Sexuality Alliance (GSA) and the Arts and Crafts for Mental Health, hidden gems of lesser known clubs offer opportunities for self expression and connection.

Songwriting Club: The goal of this year-old club is to bring students together with music, provide a networking system, and educate students about a future in the music industry. Club meetings are on Friday’s at lunch in N3-104. The president, junior Hannah Roby, has released eight songs on Spotify and Apple Music.

“I created this club because I feel that you don’t really know how many people at our school write songs, but when you put us together, we can create a group of friends and a community of songwriters and musicians,” Roby said.

At club meetings, members like to play songwriting games, collaborate to write songs, and use digital software to create music. They also bounce ideas off each other, share their own works, and even just jam on instruments.

“I joined the club in support of my friend Hannah Roby, and also because I love music, and think it’s super important to the world and expression,” Vice President Roxie Walsh said.

Arts and Crafts for Mental Health: Releasing their creativity, club members meet to do some relaxing crafts. The club, made last year, was started by senior Emily Nguyen.

“The goal of the club is to help people’s mental health by giving people a break to just do arts and crafts,” current president senior Elise Stiritz said.

Club meetings are tuesday at lunch in N5-204. At the club meetings they do activities like making bracelets, coloring pages, folding origami, creating slime, and decorating cookies.

“I joined the club because I enjoy doing crafts, and it seemed like a fun way to relax at school,” Vice President Amber Crawford said.

Gender-Sexuality Alliance (GSA): The goal of GSA is to provide a safe space for LGBTQ+ students and allies, a place to feel accepted.

“It is my priority to keep GSA as a safe place on campus for anyone who needs it. I joined the club my freshman year, and I enjoyed our meetings, getting to hang out with my friends and relaxing, so I joined leadership the next year,” President junior Emma Evonsion said.

At club meetings, people usually just hang out and eat snacks to unwind and relax.

“I joined the club because I am pansexual, which means that I feel attraction based on personality and not gender. I wanted to reach out to people with similar experiences to mine, and help other people understand the many unique identities that fall under the umbrella of LGBTQ+,” senior Brielle Asakama, their vice president, said.

Club meetings are on Wednesdays during lunch in N6-102.