Mr. White juggles school and a family business

David+White+
Lily Johnson
David White

Economics teacher by day and a local business owner by night. David White has been a part of the PUSD family since sixth grade. He met his wife here, graduated from here, sent his kids here, and has been teaching here for 30 years.

“We’re both “Powegians” as we like to say,” White said. 

White is Poway through and through. While he loves teaching, White and his wife, Carma, own a flower shop, Four Seasons Flowers, that has been in the family since 1974.

The White family is about to celebrate the 50th anniversary next year. The Whites purchased the business from Carma’s mom in the late 90s and have been running it with his kids’ and in-laws’ help since. 

For the most part, White teaches and his wife handles the business. However, when you own a business you are all in, he said he sometimes works weekends and after school but, “Valentines is all hands on deck.” Even when he’s at school, the business is always on the back of his mind. 

“You’re proud to own your own business. It’s not easy to do, most people can’t do it,” White said. He is proud of his wife and everything she does. 

“I take pride in all of that. The success, her abilities, we’ve been around a long time,” White said. Owning a business is stressful and a lot of hard work but White and his family handle the challenge well.

White often references his business when teaching through examples and analogies. 

“Mr. White helped me and the rest of my class understand the economic concepts he was teaching us with analogies about his flower shop,” one of his former students, Cita Raine said. He also always reminds everyone to go to Four Seasons Flowers for all their flower needs.