Putting the culture in agriculture

FFA members pack their bags for their two-hour flight, excited for the opportunity to build community with other FFA students within the state. Not only will they share their love of agriculture and animals, but get the chance to see how they can develop their passion into a vocation. 

The 96th annual Future Farmers of America (FFA) State Leadership Conference took place on March 21-24 in Sacramento, with over 7,000 students, advisors, and guests.

FFA is an intracurricular organization, in which many FFA students participate in agriculture classes like Sustainable Agriculture Biology and Agriculture Economics or the Agriculture Leadership 5.5 class. In the 5.5 their experience is enriched. 

At the leadership conference, FFA students listened to many motivational speakers and industry professionals who spoke. Students also participated in workshops, networked with other FFA chapters in the state, visited local agricultural businesses, and explored potential industry schools and colleges. 

Chapter historian Angel Garrett recounts the trip as a bonding experience and an opportunity to build leadership skills. “We were able to come together and have fun learning about agriculture, and during the conference, I realized that FFA was where I’m meant to be,” Garrett said. The conference aims to teach students the importance of agriculture and the FFA community.

Chapter Sentinel Sydney Harris saw the conference as a real benefit to her FFA journey.  “We met other FFA Chapters from California and were able to network, and I learned so much about my peers and other young people in agriculture,” Harris said. 

Julia Page, the FFA advisor and agriculture teacher believes that the conference is a wonderful opportunity for students to talk to professionals in the field and explore options after high school.

“There are many benefits for FFA students at the event, especially the college and career event. It is very beneficial for students because they can talk to different colleges specializing in agriculture, or speak with industry professionals if they choose to go straight into a career, ” Page said.