Exchange Student welcomed into the USA

B%C3%BC%C5%9Fra+B%C3%B6r%C3%BC
Eden Santos
Büşra Börü

Büşra Börü is a Turkish Exchange student from Eskişehir, Turkey, is starting her junior year here. From the first day Büşra Börü flew into America, she was welcomed with a burst of culture from her host family, who welcomed her in four different languages, Spanish, English, Turkish, and Hindi. The family decided to welcome her in an exciting way because she was greeted in four different languages. She said it was a really amazing moment for her. 

Börü had an interest in American culture because of the various destinations and different types of food. As well as the high school life full of spirited experiences such as football games and also wanting to expand her knowledge which inspired her to come study in America. When she arrived, she felt homesick, but her host family welcomed her with open arms, helping her with the transition from Turkey. She said her new family has been very welcoming, and she is extremely grateful for that. 

The school system change was drastic, from the difficulty of the classes, to the way that high school was run. But despite this, she has adapted really well and she is happy to see smiles every day when coming to school. 

Börü loves to swim and plans on joining the swim team. She loves to show her school spirit by going to all the football games. 

She has enjoyed exploring San Diego where she was able to go to Belmont Park and experience the beach for the first time.

“It was the first time seeing the beach, and it was so beautiful, so fun,” Börü said. 

She also had the chance to go to Mission Beach and Balboa Park. She loved learning about the culture at Balboa Park as well as the scenery. She said some places she would love to visit are Sea World or the Zoo.

Börü loves learning about cultures and has had many great chances to learn about new cultures in Poway. She likes how Poway is a diverse school which helps her to learn more about different cultures and has the opportunity to teach others about hers. 

The thing Börü would want people to know about is that she loves talking with new people and learning new things.

One of Börü’s friends, Kiana Hardy, thinks Börü adapted really well in the class and she always has interesting, intellectual claims in class.  For example, if there was a past argument in her history class, she will participate in the argument with an interesting side to which others would not think of.

“She is really nice and she invites me to eat together at times, ” sophomore Kiana Hardy said. 

Jack Koyama, Börü’s classmate, said it’s really fun to talk with her. He says she is a great person to talk to because she can be open with you and teach you interesting facts about things. 

“In class, she is very nice and very talkative, which makes her a very positive influence on anyone who talks to her,” sophomore Jack Koyama said.

Börü is ready to tackle the challenges this year and fulfill the experiences such as concerts, dances, and trying different food dishes. Büşra Börü is ready to start her new adventure in the United States.