The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

Keeping cool without AC

C-Building classrooms struggle to find an air conditioning system that lasts for more than a few days.

Pushing through the heat with no air conditioning, the teachers in the C building teach their classes for hours each day. The air conditioning broke before the school year started and is still not working perfectly but there is a temporary fix. 

“They got it working after I made a “stink” at back to school night. They came out and fixed it the next morning, but it only lasted two days,” science teacher Arno Chrispeels said. “I am currently using two small portable air conditioners, but they don’t really do anything. It makes teaching difficult. It’s hard to concentrate in the class, for both students and teachers when it’s 88 degrees inside. I don’t want to stick around after school and clean/prepare/grade so I’ve been taking more work home. But, it’s hard when you have labs that you need to set up for the students,” he added 

The school is supposed to get new systems according to the district, but the actual replacement date is still to be determined. It might be next summer, probably not before. “Our district has just approved funding to replace the older AC units. Most of our air conditioning is working, however the C building AC needs a new part to get it up and running again which we are waiting for,” assistant principal Michael Gizzo said.

The teachers are not the only ones bothered by the air conditioning not working, but also the students. “I feel so bad for Mr. Klubberud, he has a whole spaceship setup to make us not hot. It also sucks that It’s his first year at Poway and he has to teach in what has basically become a sauna,” senior Alysa McGruder, a student in Klubberud’s homeroom said.

This is not the only problem that has occurred with the building, teachers have also been complaining about a leaky roof in the C building that was just fixed this year, even though it has been leaking since last winter. “Our facilities team came out to repair it and I believe that it has been fixed,” said Gizzo.