Rejection just means redirection

As seniors waited for college admission letters, many went through a tense and stressful time, including the process of being rejected from their dream college. 

College rejection can be a tough and disappointing experience, but it’s important to recall that it’s not a reflection of one’s worth or potential. According to Titan Center career guidance technician Jamie Brown, there are more students applying to UCs and Cal States than ever before. 

“It is hard to not take this personal, but there are so many different pathways that you can take, and I know each person will find the right one for their journey.” Brown said.

Students can use this experience as a learning opportunity. Consider asking a college counselor for feedback on the application or identify areas where it is necessary to improve. Applicants can also use this experience to reflect on their goals and priorities and make adjustments.

Just because a student was rejected from one school, does not mean they will be accepted to others. Students can into other options, including other schools that may not have been considered yet. 

“I got into my second option, and looking at it now, it’s the ideal match for me. If I had to give advice to a Junior, I would tell them even though the process is stressful, everything will work out.” senior Naomi Bjornsson said.

Students can also consider taking a gap year or attending community college before reapplying to their dream school.  

According to Brown, students should use a gap year to gather their thoughts, find themselves in this world and relax, but also explore opportunities to make their application more appealing, for example traveling to new places or learning new cultures and languages. They might also give  back to the community or an important cause. They could also take a part-time or full-time job to gain work experience and save money, or gain practical experience in a field of interest by interning with a company or organization.  

“Because I am interested in two polar opposite majors, I am hoping to intern during my gap year, which will give me a better real world perspective on what both fields entail post-college and better prepare me for this big decision.” senior Sophia Ott said.

Another option is community college. A community college can be attended with the intent of applying to a dream school after two years. Community colleges often have agreements with four-year universities, which means that students can transfer their credits and continue their education at a different college or university. 

“For students considering UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Riverside , UC Santa Barbara or UC Santa Cruz, there is a program called Transfer Admission Guarantee (T.A.G.). This ensures the student their admission into a UC from a community college as long as they have taken their required courses and met the admissions standards.” Brown said. 

Some UCs, such as UCLA, UCSD, UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, do not  have the T.A.G. program, which means there is no guaranteed acceptance, but it is still possible. 

Other schools, such as CSUs or private or public universities, have different transfer programs, so students should visit the college website to find out more information.

“Seniors, this might not be the path you intended, but you will still end up where you are meant to be. Transferring from a community college saves you money, allows you to explore your interests, and after you transfer to your dream school, you will still graduate with the same degree as if you were there for four years” Brown said.

College is just one part of the journey, and there are many opportunities and paths to success. Maintaining a positive outlook and staying focused on one’s goals can lead to finding the right path.