News in brief: Partying it up like animals, Keeping an Eye on Art, Robotics travels to Houston

Partying like animals: With the theme of Jumanji, Prom will be held at the San Diego Zoo on May 20 from 7 to 11 p.m. Ticket sales began April 24, starting at $70 and increase by five dollars each week leading up to the event. Sophomores are only allowed to attend if asked by a junior or senior, and they must fill out a guest form which students can get from the office. At the venue, students will be able to ride the Skyfari, see animal encounters, pose for caricatures, and much more. 

Keep an Eye on Art: The annual Eye on Art festival is happening on May 4. An opening ceremony begins at 6 p.m. in the N-building quad, and the festival doors officially open at 7 p.m. In this art showcase, students display their creations from film, to ceramics, and all different forms of art. The Poway High Jazz band will also be playing live music while people can walk around and explore students’ work. 

Robotics travels to Houston: Making an appearance at the FIRST Championship Global Tournament in Houston, team Spyder was able to work under mentors, and compete against many other teams on April 19-22. Going 5-5-0 they finished in 62nd place out of 77 teams. Although they did not advance as far as they had hoped, they were able to compete against the top teams in the country and learned many things.