Standardized testing: who, what, when, and why?

Sitting down in class, students open their Chromebooks to the Log In screen. In the bottom left corner, they click on the standardized testing app. 

Juniors will take the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) tests for math and English. Seniors will take the California Science Test (CAST). All state testing will be run through the English department. The tests will be taken from March 27 until April 7.

Administration expects students to put in the most amount of effort possible over the course of two weeks. By putting the effort in, students are helping their school and to their peers for college admissions boards.

“CAASPP testing is a reflection of their education at Poway High School, meaning it is a reflection of the hard work teachers have put into their education,” Principal Richard Nash said. 

It is expected that students will be able to understand the material on each test. The CAASPP test is a cumulative evaluation of everything that students have been taught over the course of the time spent in K-12 school, but more importantly, the time spent in high school. 

“In theory, everything students have done in high school is leading to this moment, so there is nothing to study, ”Department Chair of English Kathryn McMillan said

Although there is no formal way for students to study for the CAASPP tests, there are ways to feel more rested and prepared. 

“Making sure students are getting enough rest and properly nourishing their bodies, and making sure that they are prepared to take on the test. It requires stamina and it will take a while,” Department Chair of English Kathryn McMillan said.

However, not everyone is taking the standardized tests during the two week time frame. Advanced Placement (AP) students who are taking the AP test, or tests, in May, are taking the CAASPP tests after AP testing is over to give them more class time to prepare for the AP test. 

Students will not be using their personal computers as a means of taking the test. Those without a school-issued Chromebook will have them available to use in classes while the tests are taking place. 

As more and more colleges deviate from SAT and ACT scores, it is important to score well so that colleges understand that coming from Poway Unified School District means we, as Titans, are more than capable of being a great contender for being accepted into universities. 

“The scores we get as a school designate how other schools view us,” Department Chair of Math Susan Sebastian said. “If you are applying to college, having high CAASPP results will indicate that our school is teaching at the right level.”