Bandrup scores a scholarship

After countless practices, games, tournaments, injuries, and private lessons, senior Patricia Bandrup verbally committed on a scholarship to Wheaton College in Massachusetts.

This goalie has been playing soccer for 13 years and hopes to continue playing the sport that she loves for many years to come. Bandrup has dreamed of committing to a college since she started playing rec soccer when she was four, and since then she has fallen in love with this sport. 

When she turned five, she started playing for  Poway Vaqueros with Coach Christine Drummond, “She was my first coach and she taught me to love the position so many refused to play,” Bandrup said.

Her current coach, Ray Talia has helped Bandrup along the way in her soccer career by helping her  raise her skill level. Both coaches played a huge role in Bandrup’s commitment to Wheaton College. 

Senior Katie Ellis has played soccer with Bandrup since freshman year.  “I absolutely love playing with her. She’s an amazing goalkeeper. I never have to worry, knowing she’s in goal and has my back,”Ellis said . 

Senior Izzy Edmunds, has also played soccer with Bandrup since freshman year. “Patricia is one of the best goalie’s I’ve ever played with,” Edmunds said. 

“After playing soccer for my whole life, I couldn’t imagine my life without it,” Bandrup explains.

Bandrup also received seven additional offers before verbally committing. 

Wheaton college was the school Bandrup chose because she was a fan of their outstanding soccer program, its great academic opportunities, as well as the opportunity to study abroad in the future. She also loves how close she will be to Boston. 

As the years go on, look out for Poway High School’s alumni goalie, as she takes on Wheaton College after her last year in high school on varsity.