Practicing through a pandemic

Norton takes on Varsity Field Hockey.

Practicing through a pandemic

Freshman Anjolie Norton laughed as she explained that she “just looks forward to practicing to get out of the house.” Even though the pandemic took away the normalcy of her passion, she has still found a light at the end of a very dark tunnel. This freshman field hockey star intends on making this year count, even if it is not the way she expected.
Norton not only was talented enough to make it onto Poway’s varsity team her freshman year but plays on the elite team at her club Rush. This team is invite-only and has made a huge impact on her life. Norton is very committed to her sport and works hard to achieve her goals. —-Norton said that last spring, she made 100 blankets and sold them to make money to travel to a field hockey tournament in Florida.
There have been many disappointments during this pandemic, but Norton feels that one of the biggest disappointments was being unable to travel.
Being a part of both of her teams has created a strong connection with many teammates. “She is a great teammate and fits into the team environment really well and we are lucky to have her,” junior Rachel Sandstrom said.
Field hockey has looked very different this year because of COVID restrictions, but that has not stopped Norton’s efforts, nor her coaches. She and her teammates have practiced three days a week from 6 to 8 p.m.– including the time in which we are in the purple tier. But the superstar freshman has no difficulty balancing her sport and school.
She describes herself as giving, active and competitive. With a pure love for challenges, which is why she had no fear in setting some pretty solid goals for herself.
Norton would like to continue to play on varsity for all four years of high school. Not only that, but she’s working to be a starter maybe as early as this season if they get the chance to play. Norton has not yet set her eye on any particular college, but she intends to start her search soon. Her hope is to go to a medium-sized school on a D1 scholarship potentially out on the East Coast.
However, she’s not driving her dreams all on her own. “My mom and I worked a lot together to learn more about field hockey,” Norton said.
She is encouraged by her huge support system. Her family, friends, teammates, and coaches all push her to strive to be her best. Notably her mom.