Together As One club takes to Poway

PHS juniors start club to celebrate diversity

For students looking to better the school community by uniting students, Together As One is the club for them. They strive for change and equality in their schools. 

TGAO began at Del Norte High School in 2019, and then members soon reached out to other interested students about spreading their club throughout districts. Now, after almost two years, TGAO has clubs at Cathedral Catholic, Del Norte, and now Poway High School.

At PHS, club members work to unite the campus and celebrate diversity. The club was started by Juniors Razanne Mihtar and Gabriella Lazaro, who then chose the rest of their leadership team. Juniors Allison Bell, Reace Rinehart, and Callie Boles work as vice president, secretary, and treasurer.

“TGAO has such a beautiful, simple message that spreads endless equality and tolerance that I think can be beneficial to Poway High School campus culture in an impactful way,” co-president Mihtar said.

So far, the club has been working to spread its goals. “Our main goal in this club is just to bring everyone together and acknowledge and learn from our differences,” co-president Lazaro said.

Because of the pandemic, leadership has mainly been using social media to share quotes, mental health tips, and on the original TGAO Instagram (@tgaomovement), students from various schools have been sharing how quarantine has affected their lives.

“I hope that the TGAO movement at Poway can help to create a safe space for students of varying backgrounds to embrace each other’s differences and help create positive change at our school and in our community,” treasurer Boles said.

TGAO is always welcoming new students into their club. More information about meeting times and any updates can be found on @phs_tgao on Instagram.