Ballin´ Back and Forth

Miles Wingfield gets the ball on a fast break in the fourth quarter of Poway’s home game versus Torrey Pines in the 2019-20 season.

“COVID can’t stop me,” is what senior basketball star Miles Wingfield passionately said about COVID-19 postponing his basketball season for his last year of high school.

Wingfield, a 6’1”, 170 lb. point guard/shooting guard has been doing a lot during this offseason in order to carry on the expectations from when the boys’ varsity basketball team left campus from their last season. “I have been playing with my club team, the San Diego Slayers, and working on my craft, as well as improving my body,” he said.

Wingfield is hoping for a breakout season and a chance to finally show his capability on the court after coming back from a long-lasting dislocated knee injury that started back in eighth grade. 

In eighth grade, Wingfield dislocated his knee, preventing him from having a freshman and sophomore season on varsity. “I had two surgeries on my knee, and it was a very hard time in my life. All I wanted to do was play, but I just watched from the sidelines,” Wingfield said.

Having to miss out on so many basketball opportunities during a pivotal time in his life when he could have been scouted really hurt Wingfield emotionally. 

“It even hurt me a little having to see Miles miss out on his passion due to such a horrible injury while his teammates were progressing,” lifelong friend and teammate Cole Stephens said.

Wingfield is very excited for the incoming basketball season and he hopes to help lead his team to a consecutive league championship title as well as a good run in the CIF and state playoffs.

“I finally feel like I’m back to 100 percent and I’m pulling off dunks that I couldn’t even do before,” Wingfield said.