PDP DANCES TO VICTORY

Sliding onto the dance floor, Poway placed first in every division at a USA Dance competition in Las Vegas with dancers that lead their way to victory at their first competition of the season. 

“We got first place in every category we competed in,” sophomore Alina Draa said. 

Poway Dance Project (PDP) competed at Desert Oasis High School in Las Vegas on Jan. 11 with three soloists placing within the top three at the event along with team performances placing first. 

Junior Aliza Workman placed first, junior Kate Gladeheim placed second, and senior Kendall Flies placed third for their contemporary style solo performances.

“As a soloist, it was so exciting and fulfilling to win, but the best part was being able to enjoy it with the love and support of my team,” Workman said.

The team prepared for weeks for the competition. 

“We’ve been practicing every day for the past few weeks, and our captains have helped so much to prepare us with everything,” sophomore Natalie Lockwood said. 

Through this national competition, PDP has been qualified for nationals this year in front of five judges. 

“It’s very stressful leading up to it because you don’t want to let the team down, but it’s so worth it because the outcome is really rewarding,” Lockwood said.

The connections between each member of the team ultimately drive them to success according to dancers. 

“We knew that in order to be successful, we had to all have a cohesive mindset and utilize the connection we have as a team,” Workman said.

PDP is optimistic for nationals and regionals from now until June. They will have events in San Diego, Orange County, and Florida. 

“Regionals go from January to March and because we go to different associations, we have three different nationals. Each association has nationals and a set of regionals. Our earliest national is late January and our latest regional is March,” Lockwood said.

The next couple of months are going to hold both excitement and challenges for the team. “I’m so excited for the rest of the season! I can’t wait for Florida,” sophomore Julia Wilson said.