START WITH HELLO WEEK SPARKS JOY AND SPREADS POSITIVITY

The second week of school sprung into action with colorful activities and joyous smiles across students’ faces. “Start With Hello Week” now a tradition here promotes connection among fellow Titans and create empathy. 

This week of activities was inspired by the Sandy Hook Promise nonprofit organization, whose goal is to promote social inclusion and to educate young people about mental health in order to prevent gun violence.

“Educating people our age about mental health is crucial and can help people empathize with others,” ASB member Emily Bylsma said.

This week welcomed our new and returning students back to campus and displayed connection among all grade levels. Several activities aimed to bring together students, including musical chairs, painting colorful rocks, handing out name tags, and more. Colorful rocks are scattered around various planters to brighten people’s days and draw them closer to read positive messages.

“I loved how I saw all of the students smiling and participating in the activities because it really made an impact on everyone’s week,” Peer Counselor Fernanda Madrazo said.

ASB, Friday Night Live, and Peer Counseling members all got involved to bring together the student body. 

“Playing games like musical chairs is an important, lighthearted way to address a serious issue,” President of Peer Counseling Lola Ethridge said.

Throughout the year, Peer Counselors and ASB Members will continue to spread these important messages in No Place for Hate Week and other presentations.