The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

New album by Zayn is making headlines

Room Under the Stairs

Zayn Malik who became a solo artist after being in the band One Direction, released a new album called Room Under The Stairs, which dropped on May 17. This is his first album with no features and many songs. I thought this album was overall really good.

Compared to one of his pervious albums, Pillow Talk an album that’s more R&B compared to this one that has more of a country vibe. 

The first song of the album called “Dreamin” really sets the country tone. It has a slow tempo at first but then it builds up and has a really good beat as the song goes on. His fourth and fifth most popular songs on Spotify that come from his new album, are “What I Am” , and “Alienated” 

In “What I Am” the chorus is “Don’t take me for what I’m saying, Just take me for what I am, ‘Cause this is where I’m staying, My two feet are in the sand.” This lyric is talking about living in the present and asking questions to a past lover. 

When first listening to this album I was a little confused because Zayn is not known for country music. In an interview with Alexandra Cooper he shared, “I’m doing a record I don’t think people are really gonna expect. It’s a different sound for me.“ 

He acknowledges that the sound is different from his style, but I see it as a fresh start and opportunity.it was just shocking to hear him singing country when he was more of an R&B. 

Zayn has told interviewers that his intention behind the album was for listeners to get more insight of him as a human being, including  his relationship with his daughter Khai  Which song references this?

He shows this in many of the new songs like Dusk Till Dawn and stardust. In all, the songs have a good vibe and add a little spice with the new route he’s taking, adding a little bit of unexpected country flair.