Life classes for students

Lily Teran

The night of my eighteenth birthday I went to bed a child and woke an adult with no grand revelations of wisdom. But once the clock had struck midnight, I picked up a wide array of responsibilities – some obvious, others I would discover later.
Not all of these new tasks were burdensome, in fact, many were freeing – I could vote, check myself out of school, and open my own bank account. The initial joy of independence and power over my own life was quickly tempered, however, by the less exciting realization that I had to file my own taxes and organize my own doctor’s appointments. As I looked to the future and college, I could no longer rely on the certainty of my mom’s delicious homemade dinners awaiting me when I came home.
All seniors, regardless of whether they turn 18 during the school year or not, are united in having to reckon with the reality of post-high school life. After graduation celebrations end and the caps hit the ground, the days of hand-holding are over. The community and resources of a K-12 school campus are no longer accessible, which leaves graduates on their own to build a life by trial and error.
Poway does a great job of providing seniors with career opportunities and connecting students with paths to higher education, but getting a job and going to college are only half the battle. Seniors are required to learn about the conceptual structures of their government and the functioning of the national economy, but what about the practical questions of living an everyday life?
A solution to this predicament can be found in offering classes to address some of the gaps in parental guidance and the school curriculum. Home Economics (Home Ec.), a personal finance seminar, and a basic home repair course would all be beneficial options.
Knowing how to cook for oneself, budget accordingly, and maintain the quality of a living space are just as important, if not more important, than any one of the subjects taught on campus, and should be treated as such. Instead of fixating on just college acceptance for student success, why not also focus on sending graduates out into the real world with both a destination and the tools they need to thrive there?