Dune 2 exceeds expectations

Courtesy of Suhail Rahimi

Frank Herbert has managed to capture the audience’s attention for decades, beginning with the original novel Dune and a movie 20 years later in 1984.

The new movies, re-imagine the world of Arrakis, sand worms, and deadly battles. In the 2021 Dune Part One, the rise of the Lisan al Gaib, Paul Atretis, was set off perfectly for the unraveling and telling of his prophecy in Dune Part Two.

The new film is so absorbing with the characters, emotions, and music making it an amazing watch. Towards the end of Part One, Paul Atretis (Timothee Chalamet) and his mother Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson), make it deep enough into the desert to the Fremen, where his dreams are slowly becoming a reality, especially when he encounters Chani (Zendaya). The new movie begins right where the last one ended.

Paul is conflicted about either seeking revenge or fulfilling a prophecy that will lead to more death, so instead he learns the way of the Fremen and helps them combat the Harkonnens spice harvesters. However, the movie goes deeper than that. It explores how faith moves people and the revelations and controversies of a religious war.

The film captures the importance of the precious spice that has caused the Fremen to be repeatedly oppressed, reflecting real-world issues of Herbert’s time; the world’s reliance on oil and the search for it in Iraq. This film is almost three hours long, so most people are hesitant to see it. Yet, it never bored me. Countless subplots and conflicts interconnect, so there is constantly something exciting happening.

I highly recommend seeing this film. The large screen captures viewers in the action, providing so much to look at. Dune: Part Two has double the exhilaration and emotion of the 2021 first movie and is superior in all aspects.