The Iliad

The Student News Site of Poway High School

The Iliad

The Iliad

“D” grades should not be passing grades

Lily Teran

As finals week inches closer and students cram their brains with information, the possibility of ending a class with a D letter grade is stressful. But what should be more stressful is moving on to the next class unprepared for more difficult content.

Technically, a 60 percent is a passing grade, and students get to choose either moving on to the next academic course or redoing the class. For example, I ended the trimester with a D in Spanish 1 and I had to reflect on whether the grade was because I genuinely didn’t understand the class or If it was because I just did not turn in work. What should someone in this spot do?

I think retaking a course when you do not fully understand the curriculum is the most beneficial when a D clearly shows you are struggling to understand the concepts and need extra support. The embarrassment about retaking a class does not outweigh the effect a lack of preparation might have on failing the next course and the chances of going to college if that’s the journey students choose. This would be a good place to note that getting a D in a UC or CSU required course REQUIRES a make-up if you plan to go to most four-year schools.

Administration’s opinion is it  really depends on the class but either way you need a good foundation, especially in languages and math. Another factor is what the students plan is after High School. If college is the next step for you, U.S. News and World Report said the average minimum GPA that colleges will accept is a 3.0, and a D will drag that down.Now having a D is not the end of the world, as retaking the class during the school year or doing summer school is an option. A D grade is still  a big deal because it really can dictate your future, and if you do not understand the curriculum you should retake the course so you have a good solid foundation for the rest of your high school career.