Saltburn seizes the mind

Suhail+Rahimi
Suhail Rahimi

Saltburn, director Emerald Fennell’s newest film, leaves audiences aghast while leaving the theater.
This movie is quite difficult to summarize because every other scene includes a plot twist or reveals something surprising.
The film follows Oliver “Ollie” Quick (Barry Keoghan), class of 2006 at Oxford University. Oliver comes off as awkward, and shy, like he does not belong at this affluent college. On the other hand, Felix Catton (Jacob Elordi) is popular, attractive, and rich. Eventually, the two of them become friends when Oliver lends his bike to Felix.
Many fans’ attention were drawn to the movie before the release in theaters due to Elordi’s presence in the cast.
Another factor as to why audiences were captivated were the reactions from users on TikTok who left people wanting to see what the chaos was all about. The first half of the film is captivating.
As summer approaches, Oliver confesses his working-class status, exposing his hardships of living in the rich absorbed environment.
Felix and his lovable personality, invites Ollie to stay with him and his family for the summer on their estate, Saltburn, the home where luxury is opulence and the ideal summer spot becomes his reality.
Saltburn makes me want summer to stay forever.
I was absorbed by the party scenes with the colors, vibes, and soundtrack overwhelming my senses.
In some ways, the movie is similar to a combination of Euphoria and Call Me By Your Name, drawing aspects of the glittery party feelings, and the summer in-depth romance.
But just amplified.
The movie deceives you, for I believed this to be a love story at first.
But it is actually a story about obsession and greed.
The characters unravel the lengths to which one might go to get what they want, but they also send an ominous vibe as though they know something we do not.
I do not believe the film was either a comedy or thriller, despite being marketed as such.
There were times I was laughing because I was so uncomfortable with what I was watching and the extent to which the scene lasted.
I was physically covering my face and opening my mouth for an abnormally long time while watching.
Similar to David Lynch’s strange and vulgar movies such as Mulholland Drive, the film is irrevocable in my brain with its abstract and dark undercurrent.
There are definitely scenes that I advise against watching.
Saltburn is a twisted movie with both surprising and obvious turns.
It highlights the message that people aren’t always who we think they are.
This film is a conversation piece.
I could talk about viewers’ thoughts, opinions, and their reactions to the film for hours.
I’m not sure I would watch it again, but it was an experience.