Punching her way to success

Senior+Emily+Quinn+punches+through+cement+during+her+blackbelt+test.++++++++++++++
Courtesy of Andrew Middleton
Senior Emily Quinn punches through cement during her blackbelt test.

In 2016, Senior Emily Quinn unwillingly signed up for a martial arts class which would later prove to be her lasting passion. Quinn was signed up for martial arts without her knowledge, and she had no clue of the effect it would have on her.

Now Quinn has studied martial arts for seven years and has been teaching martial arts for two years. She does three kinds of martial arts: her favorites – Jiu-Jitsu and American Kenpo– as well as Muay Thai.

American Kenpo focuses on self-defense and logic when fighting. Muay Thai focuses on strength, speed, and agility in their technique. Jiu-Jitsu focuses on close combat, chokes, holds, and joint manipulation.

At times martial arts can be discouraging and come with lots of criticism; especially with critiques on technique.
“But even then, the discouraging times is what make you better and stronger at the sport,” Quinn said.

Competitions stay mostly local, the furthest being in Los Angeles. Awards are given to those who place first, second, third, and sometimes fourth.
Quinn teaches at Poway Martial Arts. She became a temporary assistant instructor in 2021 as a requirement for her brown belt. She did such a good job at teaching that she was offered a job and was hired as an instructor. She trains kids ages 3-12 as well as teaching private lessons.

Quinn has really enjoyed coaching kids in something that changed her life.
“Seeing the moment martial arts really clicks for the kids, that’s my favorite part,” Quinn said.

Being able to see when the kids really understand martial arts is what means the most to Quinn.
When Quinn started martial arts she did not find any interest in it, but as she stuck with it and made new friends, she was able to let herself fall in love with the sport.
Karate can be an isolating sport as you are often competing with your friends, but you can also use that as motivation to become better.
“Friends are a big part of the martial arts experience,” Quinn said.

Quinn has done lots of competitions, mainly for the publicity of her program. She cannot wait for what the future has to bring.