Online learning replaces traditional teaching methods

Senior+Maggie+Gillespie+tackles+an+online+assignment.+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Isabelle Hoerr
Senior Maggie Gillespie tackles an online assignment.

Three years ago, education took a turn to the future. The COVID-19 pandemic shut down nearly all aspects of everyday life; including school.

Classrooms became “Zoom rooms,” as teachers and students attended classes from the comfort of their own homes— the usage of paper and pencil assignments faced extinction.
As we emerged from quarantine and broke free from the hellscape of “Zoom,” classrooms were measurably different. Schools pre-pandemic often had a small amount of chromebook carts— which were hard for teachers to get a hold of— making online lessons a rarity. Now, students are expected to bring devices every day. Instead of turning in paper assignments, we submit our homework as google docs through Canvas.

For classes like math, most teachers had typically required students to use pencil and paper to complete assignments. However, with the start of the pandemic, these classes were forced to make the switch to digital programs like canvas.

“With COVID, I started doing online quizzes and I still use them now,” Integrated 3B and AP Calculus BC teacher Kyle Zeis said.
The aid of technology in school does offer benefits, as many assignments are available anywhere that has Wi-Fi. If a student misses class, they can likely find an agenda for the day on Canvas. It is also generally easier for students to carry a single laptop, rather than a plethora of notebooks.

The switch to online learning has also been helpful for teachers.

“It is easier to grade assignments online, and you don’t have to worry about handwriting,” AP U.S. history teacher Curtis Lewis said.

However, some students miss the benefits of physical note taking and assignments.

“I prefer classes that have assignments on paper. I think it is easier to write things down than type them,” senior Maggie Gillespie said.