Staff editorial: school requires you to act your age

Suhail Rahimi

When walking into the library for lunch, visitors would expect a quiet environment, however, seeing a fellow Titan with a chair over their head is not an expected sight. Such an action is usually that of a freshman.
While many are still learning the ropes of high school, not all freshmen are socially aware of the behaviors they commit throughout the day. However, freshmen are not the only ones to blame; sophomores, juniors, and even seniors sometimes have the freshman mentality.
Some of the behaviors that are not the smartest consist of cutting the lunch line, which may not seem like a big deal as it’s just one person cutting, but when it’s an everyday thing with multiple people doing it, there is less and less lunchtime for the people waiting without cutting the line.
Lunch is the only time when students can eat and relax for the short 30 minutes before their fourth-period class. This peace is often interrupted by students acting disruptive toward the people around them.
The campus after lunch is another example of the behavior that PHS should not tolerate. Trash scattered across the campus is something that should not be normalized within our community. If students pick up a piece of trash during their day, our campus can reflect who we are as students in a positive light.
There have also been underclassmen seen climbing the gates of the school. Titans of any age should not treat our campus like a playground.
Hallway etiquette is another issue that pops up every year. This year, however, the habit of people pushing students or their backpacks over is most prominent. Last week, my friend was pushed by her backpack by a student walking by because there was little space between them and another student. The solution is easy: a simple “excuse me” seems to be more than enough to move someone out of the way.
The Iliad staff wants the students on our campus to be more respectful to our peers and our campus. When titans behave in a way that we are proud of, then others will see us that way as well, and collectively, PHS can be a campus that students are proud of.