Anxiety that comes with absences

Suhail Rahimi

Coming back to school after being gone is already difficult enough with having to make up for all the work you missed, but having a teacher saying you’re unsuccessful because you missed their class, without knowing what’s happening in your life isn’t helpful either.
I tend to have many excused absences for personal issues, and I should not have to worry about explaining that to my teachers. I understand that I could be missing important class time, but whenever I miss school, it is warranted.
When teachers give their unsolicited opinions on their students missing school without genuine concern, it can cause a feeling of unwelcomeness. There is a right and wrong way to go about student concerns.
I was gone from one of my classes for almost a week due to mental health and family issues, and I came back still unsure if I was ready, knowing if I waited any longer I would be much more behind in my work. I arrived at one of my classes and was greeted by my teacher telling me that my absences only affect me, not them.
There is a new attendance policy at Poway High and administration is saying that if students have 12 or more absences in one year then we will be brought in to sign a contract agreeing to come to school more. I understand that if a student is just missing school all the time simply because they do not feel like coming, or if they are not keeping their grades up after being absent that isn’t a good excuse to miss valuable information.
Unwarranted opinions on student absences isn’t a good strategy to make students come to school more often. Students tend to feel more anxious coming to school because they are nervous about comments their teachers make.
Teachers should be supportive of their students and encouraging them to do their best, even when their best is staying home when they aren’t in the right mindset to be at school.